Interior Painting Tips, Techniques and Ideas
With right choice and combination of colors, tips, techniques and ideas, anyone can transform the whole appearance of his or her home. Wide range of options is available when it comes to interior wall painting. Little guidance and research can teach you which interior paint colors will match your home and what should be the color combination.
Before painting the interior, you should know the kind of color scheme and effect you want. It is not necessary to paint all rooms in same color. Different rooms like the living room, kitchen, bathroom, bedroom, and kid’s room can be painted in different color schemes that match the mode of the room and the lifestyle and taste of the person or people who are going to live in the room.
Interior Painting Ideas
What are Common Color Schemes?
Following ate the most common interior painting color scheme:
- Monochromatic Color Scheme: The entire home is painted in the same color with some combination of different shades.
- Analogous Color Scheme: This scheme is a combination of colors lying next to each other on the color wheel.
Getting new ideas to paint the interior walls of a home is not that difficult. There are many online websites and resources that can help you choose the right color for your home interior. You can also get new and creative ideas on interior color schemes from things like bird feathers, crayons, colorful stones and rocks, flowers and floral arrangements, Fabric colors and designs, photographs, paintings, magazines, other home interior paints and even from nature.
Many different brands and types of interior wall paints are available. There are options like Satin, Flat, Gloss, and Semi-Gloss Paints. Flat paints are the most common. Gloss paint is very durable and requires least maintenance. These paints are best suitable in rooms like the kitchen and bathroom. Semi-Gloss paint is used for doors, windows, wall trimmings, etc. Satin paint gives a very smooth finish and is easier to clean.
Things to Consider Before Choosing Interior Painting Color Scheme:
Before you finalize the color scheme for the interior of your home there are several factors to consider and keep in mind:
- Correlation of the room to be painted with the rest of the home interior.
- If you are painting an old home, consider the existing color schemes in the home.
- Natural and artificial light in the room.
- Other contents of the room like furniture, furnishing and carpet, brick finishing, etc.
Once you have worked on the above factors, you are ready to choose the best matching colors. Keep following things in mind while selecting color and color combination:
- First choose the color for the walls and then select colors for the ceiling and boarders and corners or edges.
- Several colors may give different appearance under natural and artificial light. Check out the appearance of the color that you are choosing under both natural and artificial light.
- Choose different color to highlight projecting wall portions.
- Select dark colors to highlight trim details, wall recesses and end walls of a room. If you are selecting a dark color then keep in mind that they require more maintenance and fade sooner than light colors. Dark colors also absorb more heat than light colors.
- Actual colors may be different that what you see in the color swathes.
Use light or white color for ceiling to make it look peaceful and spacious.
Interior Painting Tips and Techniques
Painting interior walls of a home is simple if you do little preparation and follow some of the basic tips, tricks and process. With simple yet useful tips and techniques, you can get professional results.
Following are some of the basic rules to follow:
- Start by painting the ceiling first and then the walls. Apply primer first to the ceiling and then to the walls. Always us a very good quality primer. Most good primers need only one coat of paint.
- If are using a brush to paint then make sure to use it from top to bottom. Same is the technique with a roller.
- If you are staining or finishing trim then do it first and then paint the walls.
- If you are painting trim then do it after you have painted the walls.
- Always paint from top to bottom.