Our Reading and Craft Talk series provides opportunities for published authors to address informal audiences on topics related to the craft of writing. Held on Thursdays, 7-8:30pm, at Great Harvest Bread Company 570 E. Benson Boulevard, Anchorage, these free talks generally begin with a short reading followed by a 20-30 minute craft talk. The event concludes with a question and answer session and book signing. (Authors are responsible for providing their own books.)
49 Writers typically schedules three Reading & Craft Talks in fall and three in spring. We prefer to confirm presenters at least four weeks in advance but we are always open to additional opportunities as they present themselves. Click here to propose a Reading and Craft Talk.
FALL 2015 FEATURED AUTHORS
- Bob Holman – Bob Holman Answers All Your Questions about Orality, Endangered Languages, and the Mediaization of Poetry: on Thursday, October 15 at 7pm
- Linda Martin – Just a Figure of Speech—finding and placing metaphors to best effect: on Thursday, November 12 at 7pm
SPRING 2015 FEATURED AUTHORS
- Alyse Knorr – Locating Love: The Impact of Place on the Lyric Love Poem: March 26, Anchorage
- Deb Vanasse – The Self-Made Writer: January 29, Anchorage
- Rachel Weaver – Efficient Revising: Time-saving Techniques: February 26, Anchorage / March 1, Juneau
FALL 2014 FEATURED AUTHORS
- Lee Goodman – On Writing Commercial Literary Fiction – or Literary Commercial-Fiction?
- David Stevenson – Letters from Chamonix: Teasing Fiction from Fact
- Susanna Mishler – A Fine Contrivance: How Can a Poem Be a Machine?
SPRING 2014 FEATURED AUTHORS
- John Straley – Lessons from a Life of Crime
- Katey Schultz – Why Alaska?
- Elise Patkotak – The World of Self-Publishing and Why
FALL 2013 FEATURED AUTHORS
- Jim Sweeney – No Higher Ground
- Tom Kizzia – Little Did I Know…
- David Abrams – How to Write a War Story
- Marybeth Holleman – How a Story Found Me
SPRING 2013 FEATURED AUTHORS
- Leigh Newman – Memoir, Failed Novels, and the Literary Essay
- Eva Saulitis – Architecture 101: What Poetry Taught Me about Form in Non-Fiction (in collaboration with Alaska Quarterly Review)
- Anne Coray – The Poem Within
- Cinthia Ritchie – How to Find the Time to Finish Your Book
- Bill Streever – Story Telling and Science: Writing about All Things Cold and All Things Hot
A big thank you to our hosts, Great Harvest Bread Company!